For the cake
- 50 g softened butter
- 125 g castor sugar
- 4 extra large egg yolks
- 5 ml MOIR’S Vanilla Essence
- 125 g cake flour
- 5 ml MOIR’S Baking Powder
- 45 ml full cream milk
For the meringue
- 4 extra large egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 200 g castor sugar
- 45 ml SAFARI Flaked Almonds
- 375 ml cream
- 300 g mixed berries
- Icing sugar for dusting
To make the cake
- Line the bottom and sides of two 20 cm cake tins with baking paper. Leave a 2.5 cm collar if you have low rimmed tins.
- Cream the butter and castor sugar until creamy and light.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together twice.
- Add to the creamed mixture alternating with the milk.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared cake tins and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon.
To make the meringue
- Add the salt to the egg whites.
- Beat until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually beat in half the castor sugar and beat until glossy and thick.
- Fold in the remaining castor sugar.
- Divide the mixture in half and spoon on top of the uncooked cake mixture in the cake tins and spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle one cake with flaked almonds.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C for 40 minutes.
- Cool in the tins and remove carefully.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Spread half the cream onto the cake without almonds and scatter half the berries over.
- Place the other cake on top.
- Top with the remaining cream and the remaining berries.
- Dust with icing sugar.