“When I entertain, I love to serve relaxed, home-style dishes that are simple to prepare,” says Cape Town caterer Kate George of The Food Room (083 700 5859)
- 1,8kg loin of pork with the skin scored
- 3T olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 Granny Smith apples, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 fennel bulb, thickly sliced
- handful fresh thyme
- 1 bulb ginger, sliced
- 1 x 350ml can cider
- a drizzle of honey
- 2t fennel seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 250°C.
2. Pat the skin of the pork dry with a paper towel. Rub it with olive oil and season really well with lots of salt and pepper.
3. Spread all the remaining ingredients in a roasting tray. Place the pork, skin side up, on top of the vegetables.
4. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes to crisp up the crackling. Lower the temperature to 200°C and cook for a further 40 minutes.
5. Remove the tray from the oven and squeeze the vegetables through a sieve to make a sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the pork with the sauce on the side.
This recipe serves 8.