Event planner Rudie Stoop (082 880 9369) and chef Nicky Gibbs (083 731 5208) team up to throw a chic cocktail party. To keep things stress-free, Rudie suggests you set up a buffet table and a self-service bar so your guests can help themselves at leisure
- 100g mixed sprouts
- 200g black rice, cooked, then chilled
- 100g asparagus
- 1 red pepper, sliced into batons
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into batons
- 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed
- 100g baby corn, halved
- 1 punnet baby rosa tomatoes, halved
- 100g sugar snap peas, halved
- ½ English cucumber, sliced into batons
- 50g wakami*
For the dressing:
- 100g mayonnaise
- 10ml wasabi
- 50ml sushi vinegar
1. Divide the sprouts amongst small serving bowls and make a well in the middle of each one using the back of a spoon. Fill the holes with black rice. Arrange the vegetables and wakami on top of the rice. Chill until ready to serve.
2. To make the dressing: combine all the ingredients together and pour over the salad just before serving. Serve with chopsticks.
*Cook’s note: Wakami is a type of seaweed found at Asian supermarkets; soften it in warm water before using. If you can find seaweed, substitute it for some sautéed Asian mushrooms which will add an earthy flavour to the dish.
This recipe makes 9 canapé portions.
RECIPE: NICKY GIBBS