Bernice Morrell, owner of Morrells Boutique Wedding and Conference Venue (morrells.co.za), is famous for making her client’s celebrations a memorable experience. Here’s her menu for a light summer lunch
- 1 roll ready-made puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked to make an egg wash
- 1 vanilla pod
- 250ml cream
- 60–80ml castor sugar
- 400g fresh raspberries
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Cut the puff pastry into 12 small rectangles and transfer to a non-stick baking tray. Brush with a little of the egg wash and bake for 12–15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Set aside.
2. Split the vanilla pod down the middle; scrape out the seeds and place them in a mixing bowl. Add the cream and whip until soft peaks form. Add 30ml castor sugar and whisk to combine.
3. Place half the raspberries in a pot with the remaining castor sugar. Cook over a moderate heat for 4–5 minutes. Once the mixture is pulpy and syrupy, remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pass the mixture through a sieve to create a smooth raspberry coulis.
4. To assemble the millefeuilles: place a pastry square in the centre of each serving plate. Spread a spoonful of cream onto the pastry and drizzle with a little coulis. Top with another sheet of pastry and repeat the process. Add the third and final pastry square, top with a spoonful of cream, drizzle with some of the coulis and garnish with the remaining raspberries and some fresh mint leaves.
This recipe serves 4.
RECIPE: BERNICE MORRELL