Bernice Morrell, owner of Morrells Boutique Wedding and Conference Venue (morrells.co.za), is famous for making her client’s celebrations a memorable experience. Here’s her menu for a light summer lunch
- 150g fine green beans, halved lengthways
- 100g thin asparagus spears
- 15ml oil
- 15ml butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100g streaky bacon, chopped or pancetta lardons
- fresh dill and chives, chopped
1. Trim the halved green beans and cut the asparagus to a similar size as the beans.
2. Bring a pot of salted water to a fast boil. Add the beans and asparagus. Cook for 2 minutes, drain and plunge into ice-cold water to refresh.
3. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and gently fry the chopped onion for a few minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4. Place the streaky bacon or pancetta lardons into the hot pan and sauté until crispy. Return the onions to the pan together with the beans and asparagus. Heat through, but don’t overcook. Serve warm.
This recipe serves 4 – 6.