Up your dose of vitamins and minerals with ClemenGold citrus. Their succulently sweet flesh with no pith or pips means they’re great for eating now or to use in cooking. These little cakes are perfect served as a tea-time treat
For the syrup
- 200ml castor sugar
- 200ml ClemenGold juice
- 1-2 ClemenGolds with skin and cut in thin slices
- 15ml rose water
- 50g flaked almonds, roasted
For the cake
- 125ml butter
- 125ml castor sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 ClemenGold
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 500ml semolina
- 5ml baking powder
- 175ml plain yoghurt
To make the syrup
Add sugar and juice to a small saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes or until a thick syrup forms.
Remove from the heat and place ClemenGold slices in the hot syrup. Set aside and allow to cool.
Stir in the rose water with the almonds.
To make the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C and line 8 individual cake tins or holes of a muffin pan with a piece of baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Beat in ClemenGold rind and vanilla.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the semolina and baking powder.
- Stir in the yoghurt to form a smooth batter.
- Place a syrup-soaked ClemenGold slice at the bottom of each cake tin or muffin hole.
- Spoon the batter on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Prick the cakes with a fork and spoon some of the cold syrup over the hot cakes. Allow to stand in the pan for a few minutes. Turn cakes out and carefully remove the papers.
- Place on a serving plate and pour the rest of the syrup and nuts over the cakes. Allow to stand for a few minutes before serving.
- To roast your own nuts, place in a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat until golden brown. Take care not to burn them.
- Substitute almonds with roasted pistachio nuts, or a mixture of the two.
- These cakes are delicious served with Greek yoghurt.
This recipe makes 8 cakes