Event planner Rudie Stoop (082 880 9369) and chef Nicky Gibbs (083 731 5208) team up to throw a chic cocktail party. To keep things stress-free, Rudie suggests you set up a buffet table and a self-service bar so your guests can help themselves at leisure
- 500g rolled gammon
- 200ml red wine
- 100ml orange juice
- 100ml lemonade
- 100g asparagus, halved and trimmed
- gravy, to serve
For the honey-mustard glaze:
- 30ml honey
- 15ml Dijon mustard
For the mustard mash:
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5ml butter
- 50ml cream
- 5ml grainy mustard
- salt and ground black pepper
1. Place the gammon into a snug-fitting pot. Pour the red wine, orange juice and lemonade over the gammon and cook on a medium-low heat for 3 hours.
2. To make the glaze: mix the ingredients together. Remove the gammon from the pot and spread the glaze over the top. Roast in the oven at 200°C until golden in colour. Keep warm until serving.
3. To make the mustard mash: place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water; bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain well. Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and warm up over a low heat. Return the hot potatoes to the pan and mash all the ingredients together. Keep warm until serving.
4. Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water.
5. To serve: slice the gammon and cut each slice into quarters. Place a dollop of mustard mash onto individual serving dishes, top with 2 pieces of gammon and a few spears of asparagus.
6. Serve with gravy and some additional honey and mustard glaze.
This recipe makes 9 canapé portions.