There’s no such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen when medical specialists Duane Blaauw and Eftyhia Vardas entertain. From deciding what dishes to serve to pairing the wines, it’s a team effort all the way. They share their menu for a gourmet brunch
- 16 Italian fennel sausages or good quality pork sausages
- 15ml lemon juice
- 800g sweet seedless black grapes, stripped off the stems
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place the sausages in an ovenproof dish and poke a few holes in them. Add the lemon juice and enough water to cover them and roast until the water has evaporated and the sausages are starting to colour lightly (about 10 minutes).
3. Turn the oven down to 180°C and continue to roast the sausages until they’re browned all over and cooked through (about 10 minutes). Prick them occasionally to release any excess fat, but not too much or they’ll dry out.
4. Add the grapes and roast until they start to soften and release some of their juices; this should take about 10–15 minutes depending on the size of the grapes. The overall cooking time depends on the thickness and size of the sausages; you’ll know they’re cooked through when the juices draining from them are clear.
5. Transfer the sausages and grapes to a warmed platter, leaving behind the excess fat, and serve immediately.
This recipe serves 8.
RECIPE: DUANE BLAAUW AND EFTYHIA VARDAS