Try these quick and easy recipes from greenmonday.co.za this summer
- ½ cup red quinoa, soaked in 2 cups water for 6 hours or more
- 4 cups water
- 1t salt, plus salt to taste
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ cup walnuts
- 2 handfuls spinach
- ¼ – 1½ cup brown rice flour
- 1T chili flakes (optional)
- 1T lemon juice
- 4t coconut oil
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add 1t salt. Add the soaked red quinoa and let cook for 10 minutes, until quinoa is mushy. Cover and let stand for another 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Let the quinoa rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and add the sweet potatoes. Cook until well done, about 12 minutes. Strain the sweet potatoes and pat them dry. Then, mash the sweet potatoes and add them to the quinoa.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and sweet potato mixture and stir to remove any water.
- Add the onion, garlic and spinach and stir until spinach has wilted. Transfer the mixture to a container.
- In the same pan, combine 1t of coconut oil with the walnuts. Roast the walnuts until crisp and carefully remove them from the pan. Let the walnuts cool and chop coarsely. Then, add the walnuts to the quinoa mixture.
- Fold in the chili flakes, lemon juice and preferred amount of salt. Then, fold in ¼ cup of the brown rice flour. The mixture should now be the consistency of pizza dough. If it is runny, continue to fold in additional brown rice flour until the desired consistency has been met.
- Shape the quinoa mixture into palm-sized patties and pan-fry them in the remaining coconut oil over medium heat. Serve immediately, or freeze for a future meal.
(This recipe makes 10 patties)