- 15ml red wine vinegar
- 5ml caster sugar
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1 corn on the cob
- 5ml butter
- 2ml cayenne pepper or 5ml Cajun spice
- 1 x 410g can black beans or kidney
- beans, drained
- 80ml ready-made mild or hot salsa
- 45ml chopped fresh coriander
- 5ml lime juice
- salt and milled black pepper
- 125g sour cream and 125g Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- tortilla chips
- ready-made guacamole
1. To make the salsa, place the red wine vinegar, caster sugar, olive or avocado oil, onion, tomatoes and chilli in a mixing bowl, stir and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Cook the corn in boiling water for 4–5 minutes. Pat dry and coat with the butter and cayenne pepper or Cajun spice.
3. Heat a frying pan and char the corn for 1–2 minutes per side and set aside.
4. Once the corn is cool enough to handle, cut the kernels from the cob and add to the salsa.
5. Stir in the remaining ingredients and season to taste. Place in a serving dish topped with the cream and cheese, if using, accompanied by the tortilla chips and guacamole.
COOK’S NOTE You can arrange the tortilla chips in a single layer on a baking sheet, top with the sour cream and grated Cheddar cheese and grill for 2–3 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve at once with the Mexican bean salsa and guacamole.