Heike Taschner-Jeske of Spiced Coffee Restaurant (ludwigroses.co.za) devised this special, rose-themed menu to celebrate the launch of event planner Otto de Jager’s namesake rose
- 1 rack of lamb
- 45ml rosemary
- 30ml thyme
- 45ml olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 100ml rose hip preserve or fruit chutney
- 250ml fresh breadcrumbs
- mashed potato, glazed baby carrots and grilled courgettes, to serve
For the rose jus:
- 500ml lamb stock
- 10ml Rose Petal Syrup
- 5ml rosewater
1. Place the lamb in a non-metallic container. Mix the rosemary, thyme, olive oil, salt and pepper and massage into the
meat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
3. Heat a frying pan to a medium to high heat and sear the lamb for 2 minutes on each side.
4. Remove from the heat and dip the fatty side of the lamb into the rose hip preserve and then into the breadcrumbs to create a crust.
5. Transfer the lamb to a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes, or longer if you prefer your meat well done.
6. Meanwhile, make the rose jus: place the stock and rose syrup in a pan and reduce slightly. Remove from the heat and stir in the rosewater.
7. Remove the lamb from the oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes before carving into cutlets.
8. To serve: pile some of the mashed potatoes onto the centre of each plate. Rest two cutlets on either side of the mash and pour the jus over the lamb. Add the glazed carrots and grilled courgettes. Garnish with fresh roses.
This recipe serves 4.