Richard and Simone Hirsch select a few favourite recipes from their cookcook to serve at a stylish summer lunch
- 4–5 medium-sized aubergines
- 500ml cake flour
- 30ml turmeric
- 5ml salt, plus extra for sprinkling on the aubergines
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 100–150ml olive oil , for shallow frying
- a few rocket leaves, micro greens and edible flowers, to garnish
- Slice the aubergines into rings, place them in a colander and sprinkle with salt; set aside for 20–30 minutes (this helps release any bitterness). Rinse under cold water and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, turmeric, 5ml salt and black pepper.
- Dip the aubergine slices into the flour mixture, then into the beaten eggs then into the flour mixture again.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat; shallow fry the coated aubergine slices until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately scattered with fresh rocket, micro herbs and edible flowers.
COOKS’ NOTE: This recipe also makes a superb side dish for a braai. To make a quick sauce for the aubergines: peel and grate a small cucumber, then mix with 250ml thick plain yoghurt and 50ml chopped fresh mint.
This recipe serves 6-8 people