A delicious, meat-free dish the whole family will love.
BUTTERNUT MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE
16–20 fresh sage leaves
15ml olive oil
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
300g butternut cubes, peeled and roasted
125ml vegetable stock
250ml milk (and extra as required)
salt and milled black pepper
125ml Cheddar cheese, grated
30ml Parmesan cheese, finely grated
125ml Greek yoghurt
10ml lemon juice
400g macaroni/spirale, cooked and drained
FOR THE TOPPING
60ml panko breadcrumbs
60ml Cheddar cheese, grated
15ml Parmesan cheese, finely grated
15ml fresh parsley, finely chopped
3ml cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Melt the butter in a pan and gently fry the sage leaves until crispy. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
4. Add the butternut, stock and milk and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses and cook for 1 minute.
6. Transfer the mixture to a blender (or use a stick blender), and add the yoghurt. Blend until smooth, adding additional milk, if required.
7. Transfer to a greased ovenproof casserole dish, stir in the lemon juice and cooked pasta and half the sage leaves.
8. Mix all the topping ingredients together and scatter over the top of the macaroni mixture.
9. Bake in the oven for about 15–20 minutes, or until the top is golden and crispy.
10. Top with the remaining sage leaves and butter mixture.
11. Serve as is, or accompanied by a seasonal green salad.
COOK’S NOTE For a non-vegetarian option, stir through 250g crispy, cooked, diced bacon.