Packed with fresh ingredients, this menu will get you and your guests in the mood for a healthy brunch. Try this asparagus with hummus and sour cream toasts. You’ll find the recipes in our March issue.
2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
½ red onion, diced
15ml red wine vinegar
5ml castor sugar
15ml fresh mint, chopped
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
60g sour cream
10ml freshly grated fine lemon zest
4–6 slices Low GI bread
6 slices country ham (optional)
250g asparagus spears, steamed
4–6 soft poached eggs
45ml fresh mint or micro leaves
1. Place the tomatoes, red onion, red wine vinegar, sugar and mint in a small non-metallic bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
2. In another bowl, mix the hummus, sour cream and lemon zest together and set aside.
3. When ready to serve, toast the bread and place on serving plates.
4. If desired, top each with a slice of ham.
5. Divide the hummus and sour cream mixture among the toasts.
6. Arrange the asparagus spears on top and spoon over some of the tomato mixture. Place a soft poached egg on top of that.
7. Garnish with spoonfuls of the tomato mixture and mint or micro herbs.
READ MORE: Tomato, asparagus and goat’s cheese quiche