Make the most of seasonal fruit by serving this scrumptious menu at your next dinner party
- 3–4 apples, cored and peeled (optional)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 75g caster sugar
- 7ml ground cinnamon
- oil, for frying
FOR THE BATTER:
- 150g self-raising flour
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 3ml ground ginger
- 2ml bicarbonate of soda
- 180–200ml soda water
FOR THE VANILLA CRÈME FRAÎCHE:
- 250ml crème fraîche
- seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- To make the vanilla crème fraîche: combine the crème fraîche and vanilla in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Slice the apples into ½cm thick slices and toss them in the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Combine the caster sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- To make the batter: sift the flour, cinnamon, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl. Whisk in just enough soda water to make a thickish batter.
- Heat some oil in a pan or in a deep fat fryer.
- Dip the apple slices into the batter, to coat. Fry the apple slices in batches for 2–3 minutes per side until puffed and golden.
- Drain the fritters well on kitchen paper and, while still warm, toss them in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Serve immediately with the vanilla crème fraîche.