Support breast cancer survivors this October by purchasing a pink punnet of mushrooms at your nearest Pick ‘n Pay. R1 from each pink punnet sold will be donated to Reach for Recovery’s Ditto Project. For more about this movement, visit mushroominfo.co.za
5 bell peppers
250g white button mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked barley
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
250g smooth ricotta
salt and pepper
fresh green salad
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
2. Prepare the peppers by slicing them in half and deseeding them. Place them facing up on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
3. In a large frying pan over high heat, sauté the mushrooms in a little olive oil. When almost cooked add the garlic and season well. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and the mushrooms are golden brown. Set the mushrooms aside on a cooling rack placed on top of a baking tray to allow any excess liquid to drain.
4. In a large bowl, combine the barley, fresh herbs, cherry tomatoes and ricotta. Season and mix well. Fold in the mushrooms.
5. Fill each half pepper with some of the mushroom and barley mixture. Bake for 15–20 minutes until the peppers are tender and the filling is hot.
6. Serve with a fresh green salad.