Terri Coyle of boutique eatery JennaVIVA (jennaviva.co.za) suggests welcoming guests with one of her signature ice ice-cold mojito coolers to set the mood for a leisurely lunch
- 36 oysters (wild is preferable)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 10g coriander, finely chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- juice of 2 fresh lemons
- black pepper
- crushed ice and 6 lemons cut into wedges, to serve
1. Clean and de-beard the oysters.
2. To make the salsa: mix the onion, tomatoes, green pepper, coriander and chilli in a bowl, pour over the lemon juice and sprinkle with black pepper.
3. Place a washed banana leaf onto a serving platter then cover with crushed ice. Place the opened oysters on top of the ice, adding a spoonful of salsa to each one. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.
Cook’s tip: To reduce the heat of the chillies, remove the seeds before adding them to the salsa.
This recipe serves 6.