Terri Coyle of boutique eatery JennaVIVA (jennaviva.co.za) suggests welcoming guests with one of her signature ice ice-cold mojito coolers to set the mood for a leisurely lunch
YOU MIGHT LIKE: MEDITERRANEAN MEZE
For the dough:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups semolina
- 1 sachet yeast (active dry)
- 1½t salt
- 1½ cups warm water
ALSO TRY: HOMEMADE PIZZA DOUGH
For the topping:
- 1 cup peppadews
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 brinjal, sliced and grilled
- 12 cocktail tomatoes
- 8 slices buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 1 packet wild rocket, washed
READ MORE: FIG, ROCKET AND WALNUT SALAD
1. Ensure you have a clean, flat surface on which to prepare the dough. Mix the cake flour, semolina, yeast and salt together and slowly fold in the warm water. Keep folding and kneading the dough until it is smooth and has the texture of putty.
2. Roll the dough using a floured rolling pin until it is ruler length long (30cm) and half a ruler length wide. Place it on a lightly-floured baking tray in a 180°C oven for about 3–4 minutes. It must be soft and golden.
3. Place the topping ingredients in layers over the flatbread and return it to the oven for a further 8–10 minutes. When the flatbread is ready it will be slightly crispy and the topping soft.
4. Serve the flatbread on a rustic wooden board scattered with the wild rocket.
Cook’s tip: If you’re short on time, use store-bought dough.
This recipe serves 6.