- 3 large eggs, separated
- 60ml castor sugar
- 300g mascarpone cheese, softened
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 200g raspberries + extra, frozen, to garnish
- 200g butter-shortbread finger biscuits
For the marshmallow topping
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 120g castor sugar
- Line a standard loaf tin with greased cling film. Beat the egg yolks and sugar with electric beaters until pale. Add the mascarpone and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold into the mascarpone mixture. Spoon into the loaf tin, scattering the raspberries into the mixture as you go. Top with the shortbread fingers, cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- For the marshmallow topping, whisk the egg whites in a bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water until they reach soft-peak stage. Add the sugar gradually and beat until completely dissolved and the marshmallow is hot to the touch. Remove from heat and beat until cool.
- When ready to serve, dip the mould with the ice-cream log once into boiling water then turn out onto a plate. Keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Spread or pipe the marshmallow topping onto the ice cream and, just before serving, brown the meringue using a blowtorch. Garnish with extra frozen raspberries.
(This recipes serves 12 people)