Try this health bread from Debbie O’Flaherty, owner of Let’s Celebrate, a boutique venue in Jo’burg. Check out pages 106-110 for more of her delicious recipes
- 1 litre nutty wheat flour
- 250ml of any 2 of the following: mixed oat bran, flaxseed, rolled oats, wheatgerm or digestive bran
- 15ml olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 15ml molasses
- 10g instant yeast
- 15ml salt
- 625–675ml warm water, to make a spongy dough
- handful mixed poppy, sesame and sunflower seeds
For the topping
- olive oil
- sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix all the ingredients together and place in a greased medium-sized loaf tin. Allow the dough to rise for about 45 minutes.
- Bake for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave in there for 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Before serving, brush it with the olive oil and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
COOK’S NOTE You can make one long loaf or two smaller loaves. This bread freezes well.
(This recipe serves 6-8 people)