Share in the celebrations by recreating Garden and Home’s 65th-birthday lunch using these scrumptious recipes from top events company By Word of Mouth (bywordofmouth.co.za)
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored and sliced into small wedges
- 80ml pouring cream
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 small rounds fresh goats’ cheese
- 30ml olive oil
- 8–12 thin slices smoked duck breast
- baby salad leaves, to serve
1. Place the apples in a heavy-based saucepan with 30ml water. Cover and simmer over a low heat for 6–8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, cool, then refrigerate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over low heat until lukewarm. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Crumble the goats’ cheese into a small bowl. Gradually pour the warm cream over the cheese and mash with a fork. Add the olive oil and stir until smooth.
3. To assemble: top an apple segment with some of the goats’ cheese cream and a slice of smoked duck breast folded into an artistic twirl. Top with a baby salad leaf.
This recipe makes 16–20 canapés.