Share in the celebrations by recreating Garden and Home’s 65th-birthday lunch using these scrumptious recipes from top events company By Word of Mouth (bywordofmouth.co.za)
For the wrapped asparagus:
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 30ml olive oil
- 15ml fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150–180g smoked salmon, thinly sliced (1 slice per asparagus spear)
- baby sprouts, to serve
For the herb and hollandaise:
- 3 egg yolks
- 15–30ml freshly squeezed lemon juice, or to taste
- coarse salt and white pepper, to taste
- 15ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 15ml dill, chopped
- 125g unsalted butter, melted until foamy
1. To prepare the asparagus: preheat the oven to 180°C. Lay the asparagus on a foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the rosemary and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Roast until cooked and starting to brown around the edges (about 10 minutes). Remove from the oven and transfer to another baking sheet to cool.
2. To make the herb hollandaise: combine all the ingredients except the butter in a blender and mix well. With the motor running at high speed, slowly add the hot butter through the top of the blender until the mixture is smooth and thoroughly blended.
3. To assemble the canapés: wrap each cold asparagus spear in a slice of smoked salmon. Top with a dollop of the herb hollandaise and garnish with baby sprouts.
This recipe makes 12–16 canapés.