FOR THE CAKE:
3 eggs, beaten
200g brown sugar
seeds of ½ a vanilla pod
180g dark chocolate
150g cake flour
5ml baking powder
FOR THE GANACHE:
180g slab dark chocolate
good-quality vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a square 20cm x 20cm baking tin with foil and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
2. To make the cake batter: mix the eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds in a bowl. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler, stir until creamy and remove from the heat. Pour the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and stir well.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder together and add to the wet ingredients, stirring until combined, then pour it into the baking tin.
4. Bake the cake for 15 minutes. Allow it to cool in the tin and then refrigerate overnight.
5. The next day, make the ganache: melt the chocolate and cream together in a double boiler and stir until creamy.
6. Remove the cake from the tin and cut it into rounds. Using a pastry brush, paint the sides of the rounds with the warm ganache and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve it with the ice cream and strawberries.
This recipe serves 6-8.