We wanted our living area to feel more relaxing and comfortable, and to better reflect our personalities and lifestyle,” recall Donovan and Chanel of their house in Hillcrest, KZN
READ MORE: A Simply stylish Living room makeover
A young couple who love to entertain, wanted a natural colour scheme with African and Eastern influences. They approached interior designer Wendy-Lee Douglas of Sketch Bok/dbn to help them achieve their vision.
How the room was made over:
- The first step was to replace one of the couches with two elegant Vogel Magnet occasional chairs. “The chairs give the space a much more casual, deconstructed look – a refreshing change from the formality of two upholstered sofas,” says Wendy-Lee.
- The remaining sofa was upholstered in deep blue-grey. With custom-made scatters in a fabric from Hertex Fabrics, gives the room a more earthy, relaxed feel.
- They kept the striking raw wood coffee table as it fitted in perfectly with the new look. It now displays a collection of books and accessories. “The rawness of the timber and the complementary colours give the space a cosy, layered feel,” says Wendy-Lee.
- The couple love travelling and the outdoors. Wendy-Lee constructed a shelf below the TV to house some of their mementos. She added a collection of picture frames to the side table to display photographs of their adventures. This created layers of detail which make the space more interesting and personal.
- A Love Me Love Me Not side table, also by Vogel, was chosen to add a talking point to the room.
YOU’LL ALSO LOVE: A deck makeover with a Moroccan feel
- Addition of iKhaya’s pendant lights above the bar and a pair of oversized lights to add interest to the dining room. “The new lights create pools of atmosphere for the different areas and divide what is a large area into more intimate spaces in the evening,” explains Wendy-Lee.