This warming dessert is perfect for wintry days – whether after a meal or simply as a sweet treat
- 310ml cake flour
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- 1ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 250ml castor sugar
- 30ml butter
- 125ml buttermilk
- 15ml apricot jam
- 2,5ml grated orange zest
- 60ml orange juice
- 15ml vinegar
- For the sauce:
- 125ml butter
- 125ml soft brown sugar
- 125ml Sedgwick’s Original Old Brown
- 125ml cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Butter 6 x 125ml baking mould pans.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in a big mixing bowl.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in another bowl until the texture is light and fluffy.
- Heat the butter, buttermilk, apricot jam, grated orange zest, orange juice and vinegar together in the microwave for a few seconds until the butter is melted.
- Fold the flour mixture alternately into the egg mixture and the butter mixture, mix it well but do not over-mix. Pour the mixture into the prepared moulds and put these on an oven tray. Bake in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare the sauce while the mixture is in the oven. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small saucepan and cook until the sugar has melted.
- Remove the puddings from the oven and turn them out onto the plate on which you are going to serve them. Prick holes in the puddings with a skewer and pour some of the sauce over them while they are still hot. Serve the rest of the sauce on the side.
(This recipe serves 4 people)