Host a stylish Easter brunch with this delicious easy-to-make menu.
FOR THE TOPPING
45ml light brown sugar
3 apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
5ml ground cinnamon
125ml fresh blueberries
FOR THE VANILLA FRENCH TOAST
15ml castor sugar
3ml vanilla extract
½ lemon, finely grated zest
4–6 slices raisin bread, challah or brioche-style bread
15ml oil of your choice or odourless coconut oil
icing sugar, to dust
whipped cream, crème fraiche or Greek-style yoghurt
maple syrup or golden syrup
1. To make the topping, melt the butter in a pan and stir in the sugar and salt. Cook for
2. Add the apples and cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the blueberries and cook for 2 minutes.
4. To make the French toast, whisk the eggs, milk, castor sugar, vanilla and lemon zest in a wide mixing bowl.
5. Coat each slice of bread in the egg mixture.
6. Heat the oil and butter in a wide pan and fry the bread slices in batches for about
2–3 minutes per side. Keep them warm while you fry the remaining slices of bread.
7. Just before serving, dust the French toasts with
8. Serve the warm French toast with the apple and blueberry topping, a dollop of whipped cream, crème fraiche or Greek-style yoghurt and a drizzle of syrup.
Plus, try this smoothie!
BERRY AND BEETROOT SMOOTHIE
100g cooked and
300g frozen mixed berries
30–45ml honey, according
30ml fresh mint
150g thick plain yoghurt
1. Place the beetroot, berries, honey, mint and half of the yoghurt in a blender. Blend, adding a splash of cold water, if necessary.
2. Add the remaining yoghurt and briefly blend until combined. Add more honey to sweeten, if desired.
COOK’S NOTE* You can use ready-prepared beetroot from the fresh salad section of most major supermarkets.