Easy dishes inspired by the flavours of autumn. You’ll find this recipe in our April issue. Download the free shopping list.
4 chicken fillets
salt and milled black pepper, to taste
15ml avocado or olive oil
few stems fresh thyme
FOR THE HERB SALSA
80ml avocado or olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion, roughly chopped
60ml flat leaf parsley
45ml fresh coriander
1 lemon, zest and juice
milled black pepper
30ml caper berries
salad greens (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Season the chicken fillets well with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a pan and add the thyme and chicken. Sear the chicken fillets for 2–3 minutes per side, or until golden and crusted.
3. Transfer the chicken to an ovenproof dish and bake for 12–15 minutes, or until the fillets are just tender.
4. To make the salsa, place half the oil in a blender with the garlic, onion, parsley and coriander. Blend for 30 seconds.
5. Add the lemon juice and zest and capers, with a splash more oil and blend again for 5 seconds.
6. Stir in the remaining oil and season with black pepper.
7. When ready to serve, spoon the herbed salsa over the chicken, garnish with caper berries and salad greens, if desired. Serve with lemon wedges and the Parmesan roast potatoes.
PARMESAN ROAST POTATOES
80ml sunflower oil or duck fat
milled black pepper, to taste
45ml polenta or mealie meal
60g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes and parboil.
2. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Place the oil or duck fat into an ovenproof dish and heat in the oven.
3. Drain the potatoes, and while they are still hot and steaming, return to the pan and gently shake to roughen the edges.
4. Sprinkle the polenta over the potatoes and shake the pan again.
5. Transfer the potatoes to the ovenproof dish and spoon the oil over the potatoes to coat. Season with pepper and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, turning and basting potatoes occasionally.
6. Scatter the Parmesan cheese over the potatoes and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and crispy.