Juicy nectarines are the star of the show in this recipe. Impress guests with these delicious nectarine and salted caramel tartlets by Carol Alberts and find more seasonal stone fruit recipes at juicydelicious.co.za
Similar to nectarine and salted caramel tartlets: Lime & nectarine tart
2 sheets (400g) all butter puff pastry
1t (5ml) cinnamon mixed with
2T (30ml) castor sugar
1 egg yolk
FOR THE CARAMEL SAUCE
1 cup (200g/250ml) sugar
1 cup (250ml) cream
generous pinch salt
vanilla ice cream or cream
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line 1–2 baking trays with baking paper.
2. To make the caramel sauce, slowly melt the sugar over a low heat until a caramel forms. Never stir it – just gently swirl the pan round and round. Heat the cream in a separate pot.
3. When the sauce has turned a lovely caramel colour, add the cream and salt and stir. Leave to simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes or until all the sugar and cream have combined.
4. Working on a lightly floured surface, roll both sheets of puff pastry slightly thinner then cut each sheet into 6 equal rectangles.
5. Cut off the nectarine cheeks, slicing the rest into uniform pieces.
6. Paint the centre of each piece of pastry with the caramel sauce and fan the nectarine slices in the centre leaving about 1–1,5cm pastry all around the edges.
7. Fold the sides in to make a little package – the nectarines should be open and visible in the middle.
8. Paint the edges of the pastries with egg yolk and scatter with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
9. Serve with extra lashings of sauce and vanilla ice cream or cream.