- 100g cake flour
- 5ml salt
- 3ml ground cumin
- 2ml chilli powder (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 75g panko* or regular breadcrumbs
- 50g dukkah
- 300g prawn tails
- 250g calamari tubes and tentacles, cleaned
- oil, for frying
FOR THE WASABI MAYO:
- 125ml mayonnaise
- 45ml sour cream
- 5–15ml wasabi paste, according to taste
- 15ml fresh parsley, chopped
- lime wedges
- pickled ginger (optional)
- craft beers
1. To make the wasabi mayo: combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and wasabi paste together in a small bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
2. To crumb the seafood: combine the flour, salt, ground cumin and chilli powder (optional) in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the eggs together.
4. In a third bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and dukkah.
5. In small batches, toss the prawns and calamari in the flour mixture, to coat. Shake off the excess flour and coat the seafood in the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
6. Heat the oil and deep fry the seafood, for 2–3 minutes per batch, until crispy and golden. Drain on paper towel.
7. Serve hot, scattered with parsley with the wasabi mayonnaise, lime wedges and pickled ginger (optional) on the side, and the craft beer of your choice.
*Cook’s notes: Panko are Japanese breadcrumbs which are available in Asian stores and large supermarkets. Try this dish with Van Hunks Pumpkin Ale, a spicy, rich and aromatic brew from Boston Breweries.