- 850g orange sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- salt and milled black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10ml Thai red curry paste
- 1ℓ chicken or vegetable stock
- 30ml maple syrup
- 125ml cream
- extra maple syrup
- chopped chives
- paprika or smoked paprika (optional)
- fresh, crusty bread or crostini
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the sweet potato in a large roasting pan and drizzle with 15ml olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper and roast for 20–30 minutes, or until it’s tender and has a crispy golden edge. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the remaining 15ml oil and cook the onion and garlic over a very low heat for about 5–10 minutes, or until the onion is cooked.
- Stir in the curry paste and sweet potato and mix well.
- Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for about 10–15 minutes. Cool and blend the soup in batches in a food processor until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan. Stir in the maple syrup and cream. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup in warmed bowls, topped with a drizzle of maple syrup, chopped chives and a pinch of paprika, if desired. Serve with crusty bread or crostini.(Serves 4–6)