One of the perks of running Grand Dedale Country House (granddedale.com) is that Angelo and Tina Casu can delight their friends with the new dishes they’ve picked up from their chefs
- 1 small onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 or 2 fresh chillies
- 1cm piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 120g (half a punnet) small button mushrooms
- oil, for frying
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable or fish stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs of fresh basil, finely sliced
- 300g fresh kingklip
- half a lemon
- fresh coriander and warm bread, to serve
1. Finely chop the onion, carrot, celery, chillies and ginger. Slice the mushrooms. Lightly sauté these ingredients with some oil in a pot until glossy.
2. Add the tomatoes and stock to the pot. Bring to a slow boil. Check the seasoning, adding the basil.
3. Slice the kingklip into even pieces, about 2 x 4cm each. Drop them carefully into the broth. Lightly poach them for about 3 minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon.
4. Serve garnished with fresh coriander with some warm bread.
Wine suggestion: Doolhof Signature unwooded Chardonnay 2008.
This recipe serves 4.