Delicious tomato soup is a winter staple. Try this easy recipe for the ultimate homemade version of a classic favourite.
- 4 x 400g tins whole Italian tomatoes
- 3t soft brown sugar
- 1T fennel seeds
- 1T cumin seeds
- 2T minced garlic
- 3T fresh ginger, chopped
- 5T olive oil
- 1T cinnamon
- 30g coriander
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2t salt, to taste
- 1 cup thick plain yoghurt
- ½ cup of basil pesto
1. Heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the sugar, fennel and cumin seeds and roast for 20 minutes.
3. Fry the garlic and fresh ginger in the olive oil for 2 minutes, then add the roasted tomatoes, cinnamon and coriander. Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Blend the mixture and return to the stove for 2 minutes, adding the salt.
5. Stir in the plain yoghurt just before serving topped with the basil pesto.
This recipe serves 8.
RECIPE: Bertha Chibale heartsandtartscuisine.com