- 200g butter, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 10ml espresso coffee powder
- 30ml + 5ml cocoa powder
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 60ml boiling water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 180g castor sugar
- 180g ground almonds
TO SERVE (OPTIONAL)
- whipped cream, crème fraiche or ice cream sliced fresh fruit or seasonal berries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm or 22cm springform cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Place the butter, chocolate, espresso coffee powder, 30ml cocoa powder, vanilla essence and boiling water in a pan and heat gently, stirring, for about 4–5 minutes, or until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the egg yolks and castor sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk until, thickened, pale and creamy.
- Carefully stir the ground almonds and chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
- In a separate, spotlessly clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form and carefully fold into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon.
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 40–50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre, comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely, before transferring the cake to a serving plate.
- Lightly dust the top with the remaining 5ml cocoa powder. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream, crème fraiche or ice cream, and seasonal fruits or berries, if desired.