There’s no such thing as too many cooks in the kitchen when medical specialists Duane Blaauw and Eftyhia Vardas entertain. From deciding what dishes to serve to pairing the wines, it’s a team effort all the way. They share their menu for a gourmet brunch
- 200g toasted hazelnuts
- 100g butter
- 125g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g cake flour
- 7,5ml baking powder
- 15ml Frangelico
- 100ml milk
- 15ml extra virgin olive oil
- rind of 1 lemon, grated
- icing sugar and fresh raspberries, to serve
FOR THE VANILLA CREAM:
- 250ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 26cm round cake tin with butter and flour it.
- Process the hazelnuts in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix well.
- Add the Frangelico, milk, oil, lemon rind and ground hazelnuts and gently stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for approximately 35 minutes until golden brown and springy to the touch. Insert a skewer, and if it comes out clean, it’s done. Allow to cool and transfer to a serving dish.
- To make the vanilla cream: split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into the cream. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle the torte with icing sugar and serve with the vanilla cream and raspberries.
This recipe serves serves 8–10 people