Canadian born Phil Fong and his wife Sandra Nolan serve up a modern fusion-style Asian menu with an innovative twist
- 150ml sushi rice (Italian Arborio rice works equally well)
- 750ml hot milk
- 125ml sugar
- 15ml butter, melted
- 5ml vanilla extract
For the fragrant topping:
- 30ml sugar
- juice and rind of 1 orange
- 30ml water
- 45ml butter
- 5–7 cardamom seeds
- 5 star anise
1. Preheat the oven to 120°C and grease a large casserole dish.
2. To make the rice pudding: stir together the sushi rice, hot milk, sugar and melted butter in the casserole dish and place in oven. Bake uncovered for about 2½ hours, stirring every ½ hour or so.
3. To make the fragrant topping: combine the sugar, orange juice and rind, water, butter and spices in a pot and cook gently over a low heat, until the ingredients are combined and the flavours infused.
4. To serve: remove the rice pudding from oven and stir in the vanilla extract. Dish into individual bowls and pour over the fragrant topping.
This recipe serves 8.