Simple to make, yet deliciously satisfying, this scrumptious dessert would go down a treat on an early spring afternoon
- For the crumble topping:
- 100g cake flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- 35g soft brown sugar
- 35g caster sugar
- 50g hazelnuts, chopped
- 30g porridge oats
- 5ml cold water
For the filling:
- 800g fresh plums, stoned and cut into chunks
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g raspberry jam
- 3ml ground cinnamon
- 2ml ground cardamom (optional)
- Cream or custard*
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- To make the crumble topping: combine the flour, ground almonds and butter in a food processor or large bowl, and pulse briefly, or rub with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs with a few larger lumps. Stir in the brown sugar, caster sugar, hazelnuts and oats. Lastly, add the water and mix until you have a crumbly mixture.
- To make the filling: toss the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Grease 4–6 individual ovenproof dishes. Divide the filling among the dishes, sprinkle on the crumble topping and bake for 25–35 minutes, or until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit mixture is bubbling.
- Serve warm with custard or cream.
*Cook’s note: Dress up ready-made custard by simply stirring in 5ml finely grated orange zest and 5–10ml Cointreau or another orange-flavoured liqueur (optional).