Simple to make, yet deliciously satisfying, this wintry meal would go down a treat with a bottle of Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon
FOR THE STEAKS:
- 4 rump or sirloin steaks*
- 10ml cayenne pepper
- 5ml salt
FOR THE CHIMICHURRI SAUCE:
- 30g flat-leaved parsley, roughly chopped
- 20g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 15ml fresh oregano leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 125ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- 5ml lemon juice
- 1ml dried red chilli flakes
- 3ml flavoured salt (smoked, lemon etc.)
- 2ml milled black pepper
- crispy potato wedges
- To make the chimichurri sauce:place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until well combined, but not puréed. Season to taste. Keep 45ml of the sauce for basting the steaks and reserve the balance for serving.
- Season the steaks with the cayenne pepper and brush with a little of the chimichurri sauce.
- Grill on a hot grill until cooked to your liking; average about 3–4 minutes per side for a medium rare steak depending on its thickness.
- Season the steaks with salt, drizzle with some of the reserved chimichurri sauce and serve with salad and some crispy potato wedges.
*Cook’s note: To make entertaining even easier, roast a whole fillet of beef and serve it sliced with the chimichurri sauce drizzled over the top.