Support breast cancer survivors this October by purchasing a pink punnet of mushrooms at your nearest Pick ‘n Pay. R1 from each pink punnet sold will be donated to Reach for Recovery’s Ditto Project. For more about this movement, visit mushroomsinfo.co.za
1 large red onion, finely diced
3T red curry paste (about 80g)
2 cloves garlic, minced
thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated
500g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
500g white button mushrooms, quartered
200g pack baby spinach
salt and pepper
bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
fresh lime wedges
1. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Cook the onion and curry paste until the onion is soft and golden, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened.
5. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 5–10 minutes.
6. Stir in the baby spinach and season to taste.
7. Scatter with fresh coriander and serve with lime wedges and wild rice.