From Taste of South Africa with The Kosher Butcher’s Wife by Sharon Lurie, R290, Penguin Random, these old-fashioned favourites deliver a powerful crunch.
2 cups rolled oats (such as Jungle Oats)
½ muscovado sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup chia seeds
½ cup sesame seeds
2 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup melted butter or ¾ cup coconut oil
1 cup syrup or honey
½t bicarbonate of soda
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray 24 x 36 x 1cm and lightly spray with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine the oats, sugar, coconut, all seeds, Rice Krispies and salt.
3. Heat the butter or oil and syrup together and stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Pour this into the oat mixture and stir well to mix. The mixture should be glossy and visibly well coated.
4. Press into the prepared baking tray and bake for 25 minutes. Switch the oven off, but leave in the tray for another 10 minutes.
5. Mark into squares, then cut and turn out of the tray onto a cooling rack to cool. They should become crisper as they cool, but still be soft enough to bite into. If you would like them a bit firmer, return them, on the cooling rack, to the oven at 160°C, and bake for another 5–10 minutes.