When Cape Town caterer Annalize Buchanan ([email protected]) entertains you can be sure there’ll be an abundance of food and fun
For the Posset:
110g castor sugar
80ml lemon juice
pulp of 4 granadillas
For the Ice cream
200g castor sugar
10 egg yolks
For the Meringue:
4 egg whites
300g castor sugar
1. To make the posset: bring the sugar and cream to the boil in a pot; boil for 6 minutes. Add the lemon juice and granadilla pulp and cook for 2 minutes. Divide the mixture between 10 small serving dishes and allow it to set in the fridge.
2. To make the ice cream: bring the cream to the boil. In a separate pot, melt the sugar until it caramelises (it should be light brown). Add the cream to the caramel and whisk together then remove from the heat.
3. Mix the egg yolks and milk together in a bowl. Whisk a little of the hot cream mix into the cool egg mixture. Add the egg mixture to the pot and whisk over a low heat until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Add salt to taste and allow it to cool.
4. Pour the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Freeze until needed.
5. To make the meringue: whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, bit by bit, allowing the mixture to come back to a soft peak after each addition.
6. Place the meringue mixture in a suitable bowl and whisk it over a pot of simmering water until it’s thick and glossy. Refrigerate.
7. To assemble the dish: place some of the ice cream on top of the posset then top with the meringue. Brown the meringue with a blow torch or under a hot grill before serving.
This recipe serves 10.