These flavours work well with the fattiness of the salmon and the colours look beautiful on the plate
- 6 salmon steaks
- 200g celery, finely sliced
- 120g sultanas/raisins
- 200g green olives, pitted, sliced
- 50g capers, rinsed and chopped
- 50g extra virgin olive oil
- 20g rice wine vinegar (or cider, or white balsamic)
- 20g flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Add all the ingredients but the salmon together, taste and season; refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c, and warm up a griddle pan or light the braai.
- Season the steaks with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place flesh side down at an angle on a smoking hot griddle pan, cook for one minute and then switch the angle to the other side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and finish the cooking in the oven; about 10-15 mins.
*A knife should insert easily into cooked fish.
Cook’s tip! Sear the salmon before your guests arrive and just pop it into the oven. That way the smokiness from the griddle pan will have disappeared by the time your guests arrive.
When you are cooking the fish, you don’t want the milky proteins to start showing, this is a sign of overcooked fish.