Banting 7 Day Meal Plans, R350, Quivertree Publications, is a collection of 100 great recipes from almost two million Facebook group members. This banting carrot cake recipe was devised by the group’s founder, Rita Venter.
Similar to banting carrot cake: Banting friendly malva pudding
FOR THE CARROT CAKE
3 cups almond flour
1t coconut flour
1¼ cups xylitol
2t psyllium husks
1t baking powder
½t bicarbonate of soda
½ cup amasi/yoghurt
100ml puréed apples
50ml coconut oil, melted
4 carrots, grated
100g pecan nuts, chopped
FOR THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
½ cup xylitol (ground to icing sugar consistency in your coffee grinder)
70g softened butter
125g smooth, creamed cottage cheese
chopped pecan nuts, for decorating
Similar to banting carrot cake: CHEATS CRÈME CARAMEL
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease two round 20cm baking tins or one 23 cm springform pan.
2. In a cake mixer, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, xylitol, psyllium husks, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, bicarb and salt.
3. In another bowl, mix the eggs, vinegar, amasi/yoghurt, apples and melted coconut oil.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix very well.
5. Add the grated carrots and mix for a few minutes more, until the carrots are well distributed.
6. Add the chopped pecans and gently fold them through the cake batter.
7. Bake for 45 minutes if using two 20cm tins, or for 70 minutes if using one 23cm tin (insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake – it must come out clean).
8. Allow the cake to cool completely in the tin before turning it out onto a wire cooling rack.
9. To make the frosting, cream the butter, and gradually add xylitol icing sugar until light and fluffy.
10. Add the cottage cheese and mix only until the frosting is nice and smooth. Don’t
overmix as it becomes watery – the icing must still look slightly lumpy.
11. Ice the cake when completely cooled then decorate with chopped nuts.