Last updated on 8 December 2016
Celebrate the festive season and impress your guests with this Christmas classic from For Friends & Family, by Nicky Stubbs, R385, (Human & Rousseau)
- 8 extra large egg whites, at room temperature (use the yolks for crème brûlée and Béarnaise sauce)
- 1¼t cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1t vanilla essence
- 1t almond essence icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Spray (do not grease or butter) a ring tin or standard cake tin.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
3. Gradually add 1 cup of the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating well in between additions until stiff peaks form.
4. Sift together the remaining ½ cup of sugar and the flour. Gently and gradually fold the flour and sugar mixture into the egg whites, being careful to keep it light and not release air. Fold in the vanilla and almond essence.
5. Spoon the mixture carefully into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool for an hour before removing from the tin.
6. Serve dusted with icing sugar.