Last updated on 17 Apr 2019
Try this low-carb take on the classic milk tart, from Delicious Low Carb, by Sally-Ann Creed, R295, (Human & Rousseau)
You might like: MILK TART SOUFFLÉ
For the base
- 150g butter
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup sunflower seed flour
- 2T golden flax seeds, ground
- 1 egg
- 2t xylitol
For the filling
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 6T xylitol
- 1t vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the base, melt the butter in a pan over low heat. Pour into a bowl.
- Stir in the flours and ground seeds until it becomes crumbly.
- Break in the egg and mix well.
- Add the xylitol.
- Press into a standard-sized pie dish, making sure to cover the whole base and sides.
- To make the filling, mix all the ingredients, except the cinnamon, in a bowl and pour over the crust.
- Bake for roughly 45 minutes until the base is set and the filling is no longer runny.
- Take out of the oven and cool.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over just before serving.
Makes 1 tart