Making desserts on the braai seems a bit daunting, but this recipe allows you to create a killer dish in no time at all while enjoying the company of your guests
• 2 apples, peeled and cored
• 2 pears, peeled and cored
• 2T icing sugar
• 2 cinnamon quills
• ¼ cup raisins
• Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
• 1 cup Rice Krispies
• ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
• 1T honey
• ¼ cup butter, whipped
For the brandy-ginger custard
• 2 egg yolks
• 2t (heaped) corn flour
• 2 cups milk
• 1t vanilla essence
• 1 knob ginger
• 2T brandy
1. To make the custard, whisk together the yolks and corn flour to make a paste.
2. Bring the milk, vanilla essence, ginger and brandy to a boil.
3. Add the paste to the milk mixture and whisk continuously over medium heat until the sauce has thickened, about five to seven minutes. Strain and remove the ginger.
4. Wrap the apples and pears in foil and cook on a grid over medium-high heat until the fruit is soft.
5. Chop the fruit roughly and mix through the icing sugar, cinnamon, raisins and vanilla seeds. Close the foil packet again and cook for another five minutes.
6. Mix together the Rice Crispies, walnuts, honey and butter until well combined.
7. Top the fruit mixture with the Rice Crispie crumble and cook until the crumble has crisped up slightly.
8. Serve with the custard on the side.
This recipe serves 2-4 people