Last updated on 27 September 2016
Bananas go beautifully with chocolate and they’re easy to cook on the braai. So try something new and whip up a chocolate mousse in a Weber and throw those bananas on the grill
- 2 cups dark chocolate
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod
- 1 cup cream, whipped softly
- 4 egg whites, whisked to a stiff peak
- 4 bananas
- Chocolate shavings (optional)
- Place the chocolate in a bowl over a bain-marie. In a Weber, bring oak chips to a smoke over low heat. Place the bain-marie inside the Weber and cover. The chocolate will smoke and melt in about 30 minutes.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat and leave to temper until it reaches room temperature. Stir in the vanilla seeds. Gently fold in a quarter of the cream, then fold in the rest of the cream. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Grill the bananas, skins on, over medium heat. The banana is cooked once the skin has gone completely black.
- Serve the bananas hot or cold with the chocolate mousse. If you like, garnish with chocolate shavings.
This recipe serves 4 people