Make these delicious comfort food dishes using sweet Tru-Cape apples
- 20g unsalted butter, melted
- 20g breadcrumbs
- 30ml unsalted butter
- 45ml cake flour
- 120ml Cheshire cheese, grated
- 160ml milk
- 200ml apple puree
- 2 apples (boiled until soft and then blended)
- 4 egg yolks at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and place a baking tray on the bottom shelf.
- Brush the interior of four individual large ramekins with the 20g melted butter and then dust the breadcrumbs over the butter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the flour and stir quickly until it forms a ball.
- Remove the roux from the heat, add the milk and quickly whisk. Return it to the heat and continue whisking until the sauce starts to thicken, remove the sauce from the heat.
- Stir the cheese into the sauce until it has melted.
- Beat the egg yolks into the sauce with a whisk one at a time. Add the apple puree and mix well.
- Place the egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk until stiff peak stage.
- Add half of the egg white mixture to the sauce and mix. Add the sauce to the remainder of the egg white mixture and gently fold it in using a large spatula.
- Pour the soufflé mixture into the prepared ramekins and place on the heated oven tray. Scrape the surface flat with the back of a knife and then run a clean knife around the rim of the ramekins. Bake for 25 minutes until the soufflé is well puffed and golden brown in colour.
- Serve immediately.