Anelle van Tonder, owner of the deli Milk & Honey (021 872 0967), believes that cooking is a joy that you can share. “It’s the love you put in that makes the difference,” she says
- 200ml honey
- thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 4 dark red apples
- 400g soft goat’s milk cheese e.g. chevin
- ½ cup of peeled pistachio nuts
1. Pour the honey into a small saucepan and add the ginger. Slowly warm to a simmer and then boil for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the pan.
2. Slice the apples into very thin disks, placing them on top of each other to avoid browning from oxidation until needed. Slice the cheese into little disks and then plate alternately with the slices of apple. Use about 50g of cheese per person.
3. Once the stack is completed, drizzle the honey (minus the ginger pieces) around the plate and garnish with a few scattered pistachio nuts.
Wine suggestion: Bubbly is a great match with goat’s cheese.
This recipe serves 8.