Offering spectacular views from both the bedroom and bathroom, this open-plan suite promotes the idea of getting back to nature in the most luxurious way
This spacious bathroom, with its wood cladding and enormous rain shower, invites you to walk barefoot from the bed to the shower. As you do, you can look out on the rolling waves of the Atlantic Ocean, the rocks and the fynbos and feel at one with the natural surrounds.
To separate the two areas visually, the bedroom floor is finished in a coloured screed, while the bathroom area has wooden flooring. Although the bath, shower and basins are visible from the bedroom, the toilet has been placed out of sight behind sandblasted glass at the end of the bathroom for privacy.
READ MORE: 10 Easy bathroom decor ideas
Are you brave enough to go open plan?
To help you decide, we asked designer Lisa Millbacher of Bespoke Bathrooms to weigh up the pros and cons of an open-plan bedroom and bathroom.
- Views are not impeded by walls nor is natural light. For example, if your master bedroom is on the sunny north side of your home and the en suite bathroom is on the colder south side, an open-plan layout will allow light to flow from one room to another.
- As it extends from the bedroom, the bathroom becomes more of a sociable living space.
- It creates a sense of grandeur and luxury.
- You’re able to watch TV while bathing.
- If you have a fireplace in the bedroom, it also warms the bathroom.
- In a compact home, an open-plan layout can help to make both the bedroom and bathroom feel more spacious.
- Lack of privacy can be a concern.
- Detailed planning is necessary to create a good-looking space. You’ll need to ensure that your bath, basins and vanities integrate with the look of your bedroom furnishings. To create a seamless feel, extra consideration must be given to the choice of flooring and finding a material that will look good in the bedroom, but also be resilient to water in the bathroom area.
- As you cannot close the door, the sanitary ware and finishes used will have to be of the highest quality as they are constantly under scrutiny. The space will also have to be neat and tidy and any glass surfaces kept clean and sparkling at all times.
- The noise of running water may disturb your partner when they are trying to sleep.