Myrrh is a resin that comes from the Commiphora tree, and it has been used for centuries for its potential health and wellness benefits. It is commonly found in Somalia and Ethiopia and is used for a multitude of traditional healing benefits.
While research on it is not as extensive as it is for some other natural remedies, there are several potential benefits associated with its use.
The benefits of myrrh:
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: traditionally it has been used for its anti-inflammatory properties. It contains compounds that may help to reduce inflammation and soothe conditions caused by inflammation, making myrrh a great solution for symptoms like joint pain and stiffness caused by arthritis.
- Antimicrobial Effects: the antimicrobial properties of this resin, make it potentially effective against bacteria and fungi. It has been used in various cultures for wound healing and preventing infections.
- Oral Health: Myrrh is often found in oral care products due to its potential for supporting gum health. It may help combat bacteria in the mouth and promote overall oral hygiene.
- Respiratory Health: for many decades, myrrh was used to address respiratory issues, such as congestion and coughs. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties may also contribute to its potential benefits in this regard.
- Skin Health: it is sometimes used topically to help with conditions like wounds, eczema, and acne. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties may contribute to these effects.
- Stress Relief: The aroma of myrrh has been traditionally associated with relaxation and stress relief. Aromatherapy using the essential oil may help create a calming atmosphere.
- Digestive Support: It may help with issues like indigestion and gas, although more research is needed in this area.
Where to buy it:
Myrrh can be found in many forms, such as:
- Resin – resin can be burned as an incense and used for aromatherapy. Get your hands on the resin from Frank&Myrrh.
- Essential oil – myrrh essential can be used in an incense burner. Get your hands on myrrh essential oil from Frank&Myrrh.
- Tonic – Myrrh mineral tonic can be ingested and used for better sleep, along with its anti-ageing and anti-inflammatory properties. Get your hands on myrrh essential oil from Frank&Myrrh.
It’s important to note that while myrrh has potential health benefits, it should be used cautiously. Some people may be allergic to it, and excessive use may lead to adverse effects. Pregnant women should avoid it, as it may stimulate the uterus and potentially cause complications.
Before using myrrh or any other natural remedy for health and wellness, it’s advisable to consult with a healthcare professional, especially if you have pre-existing medical conditions or are taking medication. Additionally, using it in the form of essential oil should be done with care, as essential oils are highly concentrated and can cause skin irritation if it is not properly diluted.
Feature image: Unsplash